Monday, 17 May 2021
Greece in South Africa arrow Visasarrow Visa requirements

Visa requirements

Schengen Visa Requirements

Please note: Under the Schengen Visa Information System (VIS) implemented by all Schengen States’ Consulates in South Africa as of June 6, 2013, all visa applicants will have to lodge their applications IN PERSON in order to provide their biometric data (10 fingerprints digitally captured and digital photograph taken). This biometric data will be stored for 5 years in the framework of VIS, period during which the applicant may not apply in person for subsequent Schengen visas. 

Important: It is highly recommended that you apply 15 days in advance (but no more than 3 months prior to departure)

1. Passport
- Valid for a period of at least 3 months beyond the applicant’s last day of stay in the Schengen states.
- At least two blank pages to affix visa.
- For non-SA citizens: Residence permit in South Africa must be valid for at least 3 months after the return of the applicant from a Schengen State.
Temporary RSA passports are not accepted for traveling to or transit Austria, Germany, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Denmark or Luxemburg.

2. Application form

- Completed and signed by the applicant,
- If the applicant is a minor :

  • both parents/legal guardians must sign:

- in person at the VAC
- or submit form of parental consent duly signed and certified by the South African police
- or submit a notarized certificate of parental consent

  • an unabridged birth certificate should be submitted or the official documents/court decisions establishing the minor’s parents/legal guardians.
  • Only in case of delay by SA authorities to issue unabridged birth certificate:

- proof of having lodged the relevant request to the competent authorities
and official letter from the minor’s school or from the hospital where he/she was born confirming the identity of the parents.

3. Copy of confirmed round trip air-ticket with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Schengen State. Please provide a copy for each application. (Confirm travel dates) 

- Itinerary if traveling to additional Schengen States
- Application will only be accepted if the stay in Greece is the longest or equal to other Schengen member states or in case of equal duration stay, if Greece is the first State of entry.
- The round-trip air-ticket should be in the passenger’s name.
The visa of the final country of destination (if needed) should be obtained before applying for a Schengen visa.

4. Copy of Travel Insurance Policy
- Covering the entire period of intended stay,
- Valid for all Schengen States
- Covering any expenses for repatriation, urgent medical attention, emergency hospital treatment or death during stay
- Minimum coverage EUR 30 000.
Attention: The visa will be issued according to days covered on insurance.

5. Proof of accommodation:
- For Tourists: hotel/holiday home confirmed reservation or tour vouchers.
It should clearly state names of applicants, arrival and departure date and address of the hotel.
If applicant is travelling to other Schengen States as well, proof of accommodation in each.
- For applicants visiting friends or family:
Invitation letter from host, confirming names, dates and accommodation.

6. Proof of sufficient funds for duration of stay
Recent, original bank statements of the past three months:
Current account (the account on which the applicants salary goes into; needed even if company or other sponsor pays for the trip), Savings account, investments, credit card statements can be submitted in addition. If the bank accounts of the last three months do not show sufficient funds, any proof of other regular incomes.

If account is a business account and not in the applicants name, a CK or CIPRO document or bank letter confirming the applicants has signing powers must be submitted.

If you wish to submit photocopies, please bring the originals along to show them to the visa officer.

7. For employees:
employment letter, specifying the date of recruitment, position in the company,  salary and confirmation of leave approval
if self employed proof of company registration

8. For business travellers:
- Official invitation letter from inviting company (on official company paper, stamped and signed) containing:

  • Full address & contact details of the company
  • Name & position of the countersigning company representative
  • The purpose and duration of the trip
  • Identity of the invited applicant
  • Person or company who will bear the travel and living costs and if sponsored financial guarantee for the visa applicant's return to South Africa

- Hotel reservation unless the invitation letter clearly states that accommodation is provided.
- Letter from invited company containing :

  • Full address & contact details of the company
  • Name & position of the countersigning company representative
  • Confirmation of employment, years of employment, nature of work, type of contract

- Purpose and duration of the trip

9. For pensioners: proof of pension

10. For students: letter from school/college/university confirming attendance and copy of student card

11. Copies of previous Schengen visas (if not in current passport)

12. EEA/EU Dependents:
- Spouse or children of EEA/EU passport holders are required to submit  marriage certificate and/or unabridged birth certificate.
- Copy of EEA/EU citizen’s passport
- Flight reservation with details of applicant and EEA/EU national
- Consular fees not charged when above documents duly submitted
No proof of adequate funds and accommodation needed.

13. For applicants travelling for cultural/sports/religious events:
- Original letter of invitation by event organiser (containing contact details, name & position of undersigning representative,)
- Enrollment/Entry tickets/Event Program
- Letter of institution sending the applicant

14. For film crews:
- letter of the film company specifying name, synopsis of the film and shooting locations;
- complete list of names of travelling crew members along with their designations;
- letter from the agency in Greece confirming arrangements for film permits;
- certificate of registration with the Local Pictures Producers Association / Film Chamber of Commerce.

15. For applicants travelling for study/research purposes:
Certificate of admission or registration at an educational institute for the purpose of attending academic or vocational courses, or cover letter from the host company;

Student cards or certificates of the current enrolled institute

16. For applicants travelling for medical treatment:
- Certificate from a medical doctor and/or a medical institution stating the medical history of the patient and confirming the need of specific medical treatment to be received.
- Official document from the receiving medical doctor or medical institution confirming that the specific medical treatment can be performed and patient be accepted accordingly;
- Proof of financial arrangement made
- Any other correspondence between the sending medical doctor and the receiving medical institution, if available.

Last Updated Monday, 03 June 2013