Enforcement of entry restriction to third-country nationals except for EU and Schengen Agreement citizens for the containment of the COVID-19 spread
In view of the acute need to limit the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, as recognised by the WHO, Greece has decided to take the following precautionary measures:
- Temporary restriction of entering the country for all third-country nationals from any entry point to the country and by any way or any means, including air, maritime, rail and road connections, for preventive reasons for the protection of public health from the further spread of COVID-19 in the Greek territory.
- The restriction does not apply to nationals of EU member-states and of Schengen Agreement, including their spouses or persons with whom they have entered into civil partnership as well as their minor children.
- The restriction applies for the period 18.03.2020 and time 06.00 until 18.04.2020 and time 06.00.
- The restriction does not include:
a) medical and nursing staff, researchers and professionals in the health sector as long as they present at entry points in the country their professional license or other appropriate documentation proving their profession and on condition of their immediate inclusion in the National Health System management
b) long-term residents in EU or Schengen Agreement member-states and third-country nationals with a residence permit in EU or Schengen Agreement member-states
c) members of government missions
d) members of diplomatic or consular authorities and missions, members of international and European organizations, members of humanitarian organizations during the carrying out of their duties, military and security personnel
e) lorry drivers, which are entering for the transportation of commodities as well as the essential personnel for the transport, and
f) passengers in transit
- Third-country nationals subject to the present restriction have the right to apply to the Greek consular authority of their area of residence for their extraordinary entry to the country for professional or personal reasons.
In light of the above, the situation will be re-evaluated within a month, with a view to reopening the visa application system for travellers who plan to visit Greece from 1st May onwards.