Saturday, 17 April 2021
greek english
Home arrow Services arrow Other Services arrow Transportation of Pets

Transportation of Pets

Travelling with a dog, cat or ferret is now much easier with the new EU pet passport available from any veterinary. Pets must have a passport and, for identification purposes, be fitted with an electronic microchip or have a clearly readable tattoo, applied before July 2011. All pets must be vaccinated against rabies and the details entered in their pet passport. The vaccination must be carried out after the microchipping or tattooing.
For movements of pets between EU Member States, valid rabies vaccination is the only requirement for travel across borders. You should simply go to your vet, who will vaccinate your pet and enter the appropriate information in the pet passport.
For entry into Ireland, Malta, Sweden and the United Kingdom, an additional test is required to ensure that the rabies vaccination has been effective. Tick and tapeworm treatment may also be necessary.
To connect the pet to the passport, the animal must be fitted with an electronic microchip (transponder) or have a clearly readable tattoo, applied before 3 July 2011.
The EU pet passport has been designed to last for the lifetime of the animal bearing it. When travelling, the pet owner must ensure that the rabies vaccination in the passport is valid or renew the pet's vaccination. Some Member States might also choose to include additional information in the passport about other vaccinations and the animal's medical history to make veterinary checks easier, but this additional information is not required by EU law.
The cost of travelling with animals can differ from country to country and between different methods of transport. However, you will need to pay a fee to your veterinarian for the pet passport and any necessary treatment.
If you wish to travel with your pet by airplane, it is essential to talk to your airline before booking a ticket.
The EU pet passport makes veterinary checks easier and makes life easier for travelling pet owners, since there is one single system that applies for all EU countries.