- Embassy of Greece in Stockholm
- About Greece
- Greece and Sweden
Registration Acts – Births, Marriages, Deaths
REGISTRATION ACTS – BIRTHS, MARRIAGES, DEATHS
For Greek Nationals living in Sweden, events such as Birth, Marriage or Death need to be registered at the local Greek Consular Authorities (in Stockholm, Malmö and Göteborg). An individual, wishing to have the appropriate registration statement issued, must have on hand the relevant documents issued by Swedish Authorities and then report to the local Greek Consular Authority.
Registration of Birth
Please contact the Consular Office for details if you are not married to the father/mother of the child
To have a birth registered at the Consular Office in Stockholm, the child must have been born in Sweden. The following supporting documents must be submitted:
1. Application (provided by the Consular Office).
2. The applicant's Birth certificate (personbevis) from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skattemyndigheterna)
3. Parents' municipal registration family status certificate from the appropriate municipality in Greece and their Greek passports or National ID cards. Municipal registration certificates should have been recently issued, so as to reflect the relevant administrative reforms introduced in Greece.
4. If there has been a christening, the Church Baptism Certificate may be taken into consideration.
5. Swedish passport of the child (if any) might also be needed.
Please note that if the applicant is an adult, he or she must come to the Consular Office in person. If the applicant is under 18 years old, one of the parents has to complete the registration procedure.
Provided that all documents are submitted, the registration of birth is conducted on the same day.
Registration of Marriage
Marriages of Greek citizens which have taken place in Sweden can be registered at the Consular Office in Stockholm. The following supporting documents must be submitted:
1. Application (provided by the Consular Office)
2. Certificate of marriage of the interested parties from the church or from the City Hall.
3. Certificate of marriage from the Swedish Tax Agency (skattemyndigheterna)
4. Recent Greek passport or National ID card of the spouse who is a Greek citizen. If the spouses are both Greek citizens, passports/national identity cards and municipal registration certificates are required for each of them.
Registration of Death
Statements of death are issued by the Consular Office in Stockholm, if the death of a Greek citizen occurred in Sweden. The following supporting documents must be submitted:
2. Certificate of death and the next of kin (provided by the Swedish Tax Agency (skattemyndigheterna)
3. Greek passport and National Id card of the deceased (if available).
4. Certificate of Death issued by the hospital indicating the reason, place, date and time of death.
Provided that all documents are submitted, the registration of birth, marriage or death is conducted on the same day.