- About Us
- Embassy of Greece in Ottawa
- Consulate General in Toronto
- Consulate General in Montreal
- Consulate General in Vancouver
- About Greece
- Greece and Canada
Driver's License Conversion
Converting a Greek driver’s license to a Canadian driver’s license
In Canada, each province holds the authority to issue driver’s licences. Because there are no bilateral agreements on mutual recognition of driving licenses with Greece, the regulations of each province apply, which you can find on the Canadian government website.
Some provinces require the verification of the authenticity of the Greek driver’s license that you hold, in order to acquire a driver’s license from the corresponding Canadian province. You can get this verification at the Canadian Embassy in Greece, or alternatively, at a competent Greek consular authority in Canada.
If you go to a Greek consular authority in Canada for this service, you will have to provide an original Greek driver’s license and valid passport, and pay a consular fee of 10 euro in Canadian dollars, depending on the exchange rate each month, which can be found at the bottom of this page.
Converting a Canadian driver’s licence to a Greek driver’s license
If you have a driver’s license that has been issued by any Canadian province you can convert it to a Greek license under the conditions, and according to the procedure, that is described on the website of the Greek Ministry of Transport (CMD 24058/2653 – GAZETTE ISSUE 22 /1119/23.7.2004).
Βefore submitting the application to the Regional Transport and Communications Department of the area where you reside, you must first ask the competent Canadian authority to issue the document provided by article 2, case i of the CMD 24058/2653.
1. The equivalent document provided by article 2, case i of the CMD 24058/2653 in Canada is the “Copy of Driving Record”, which is issued by a different service in each Canadian province. You must always ask for the document to be mailed directly from the competent Canadian authority to the competent Greek consular authority in Canada, and you should not provide it yourself.
2. After submitting your application to the competent Canadian authority we ask that communicate with the competent Greek consular authority in Canada, so you can inform them that you have requested for the document to be mailed directly to them and provide your contact information as well. Once we have received the document we will contact you so you can confirm which Regional Transport and Communications Department we are to forward the document to. You can ask for a copy of the document or for the protocol number.
Cost: This service is free of charge