Monday, 19 April 2021
greek english
Home arrow Services arrow Other Services arrow Registration of marriage

Registration of marriage

If you are a Greek citizen and you were married in Canada, you have to have your marriage registered with Greek authorities as well. The registration of the marriage is done at the Greek Consular Authority in Canada, in whose jurisdiction the Province where the marriage took place lies.

Please note that if the Greek spouse had been previously married without having registered that marriage with the Greek Authorities, he/she  must a) register the first marriage, b) register his/her divorce and then c) proceed with the registration of the second marriage.

To see the areas of jurisdiction for Greek Consular Services in Canada, click here.

Necessary documents:

1. Document from the competent Canadian Provincial Government Services, which proves that the marriage has been registered in Canada. This document must be in its original form and does not need to be certified.

Required documents for each Province:

ALBERTA: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage

BRITISH COLUMBIA: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage

MANITOBA: Copy of marriage registration from Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency

NEW BRUNSWICK: Marriage certificate and photocopy of marriage registration NEW BRUNSWICK ONLINE SERVICES

NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR: Certified Marriage certificate and certified Marriage registration NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR ONLINE SERVICES

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND: Detailed Marriage Certificate and Certified Marriage registration PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND ONLINE SERVICES

ONTARIO: Certified copy of marriage registration issued by  Service Ontario.

QUEBEC: Copy of an act of Marriage from ETAT CIVIL ONLINE SERVICES

SASKATCHEWAN: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage

2. If a religious marriage also took place, even if it took place on a different date than the civil one, a church certificate is also required.

3. The applicant’s valid Canadian passport.

4. The applicant’s most recent Greek ID card or passport.

5. If the spouse is also Greek, his/her valid Canadian passport and most recent Greek ID card or passport are also required.


1. Please contact the Competent Greek Consular Authorities in Canada to request an appointment to register the marriage.

2. On the day of your appointment you must provide the necessary documents and pay the applicable Consular fees.

Last Updated Thursday, 11 June 2020

Please note that all prices mentioned throughout the website are in Euros. The exchange rate changes once a month and the rate is valid throughout that month. This page will be updated at the first of each month.

The exchange rate for April 2021 is:
1 EURO = 1.50 CAD for Consular Service
1 EURO = 1.50 CAD for the Visa Section

Please note that we only accept cash, in Canadian Dollars.

We DO NOT accept credit cards, debit cards or personal checks.