- About Us
- Embassy of Greece in Ottawa
- Consulate General in Toronto
- Consulate General in Montreal
- Consulate General in Vancouver
- About Greece
- Greece and Canada
Registration of marriage
If you are a Greek citizen and you were married in Canada, you have to have your marriage registered with Greek authorities as well. The registration of the marriage is done at the Greek Consular Authority in Canada, in whose jurisdiction the Province where the marriage took place lies.
Please note that if the Greek spouse had been previously married without having registered that marriage with the Greek Authorities, he/she must a) register the first marriage, b) register his/her divorce and then c) proceed with the registration of the second marriage.
To see the areas of jurisdiction for Greek Consular Services in Canada, click here.
1. Document from the competent Canadian Provincial Government Services, which proves that the marriage has been registered in Canada. This document must be in its original form and does not need to be certified.
Required documents for each Province:
ALBERTA: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage
BRITISH COLUMBIA: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage
MANITOBA: Copy of marriage registration from Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency
NEW BRUNSWICK: Marriage certificate and photocopy of marriage registration NEW BRUNSWICK ONLINE SERVICES
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR: Certified Marriage certificate and certified Marriage registration NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR ONLINE SERVICES
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND: Detailed Marriage Certificate and Certified Marriage registration PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND ONLINE SERVICES
ONTARIO: Certified copy of marriage registration issued by Service Ontario.
QUEBEC: Copy of an act of Marriage from ETAT CIVIL ONLINE SERVICES
SASKATCHEWAN: Certified true copy of the registration of marriage
2. If a religious marriage also took place, even if it took place on a different date than the civil one, a church certificate is also required.
3. The applicant’s valid Canadian passport.
4. The applicant’s most recent Greek ID card or passport.
5. If the spouse is also Greek, his/her valid Canadian passport and most recent Greek ID card or passport are also required.
1. Please contact the Competent Greek Consular Authorities in Canada to request an appointment to register the marriage.
2. On the day of your appointment you must provide the necessary documents and pay the applicable Consular fees.