- About Us
- Embassy of Greece in Ottawa
- Consulate General in Toronto
- Consulate General in Montreal
- Consulate General in Vancouver
- About Greece
- Greece and Canada
National Day of Greece - 200 Years of Independence
March 25th 2021
National Day of Greece
200 Years of Independence
On March 25th 2021, Greece is celebrating its National Day and the bicentennial of its Independence. On this same day we celebrate the Annunciation of Virgin Mary.
On the occasion of the bicentennial of the Greek Independence, throughout the country, Canada and Greece are now celebrating the event, by raising the Greek flag along the Canadian, chanting the two National Anthems, and adopting proclamations or issuing statements in the federal, regional or communal institutions. Furthermore, the lighting in blue and white of the Niagara Falls, bridges, buildings of symbolic importance, virtual events and lectures add to this celebration.
You may find the message of the Ambassador of Greece to Canada at the following link.
In thanking all for their valuable contribution, an indicative list of events follows:
• Greek flag raising at Ottawa City Hall – 25 March
• Illumination of the “Toronto” sign in Nathan Philips Square by the Mayor of Toronto. – 24 March
• Illumination of the CN Tower in Toronto – 25 March
• Illumination of the Niagara Falls -25 March
• Virtual Parade, organized by the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal – 25 March
• Greek flag raisings at the City Halls of Montreal, Laval, Pierrefonds-Roxboro – 25 March
• Greek flag Raising and illumination of the Nova Scotia Province House - 25 March
• Greek flag Raising and Illumination of the Halifax City Hall – 25 March
• Greek flag raising at the St. John City Hall (New Brunswick) – 25 March
• In the City of Vancouver, British Columbia has raised 56 Greek Flags at six flag stations for the month of March 2021 to commemorate the historic event
• Illumination of the Vancouver City Hall – 25 March
• Illumination of the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver – 25 March
• In Vancouver island, the Greek Flag will be raised by the the Provincial Legislature and municipalities of Campbell River, Saanich, Ladysmith, and Nanaimo. The above offices will also be illuminating their buildings in the colours of the Greek Flag -25 March
• Illumination of the High Level Bridge of Edmonton – 25 March
• Illumination of the Olympic Plaza, Arts Commons, and Telus Spark buildings in Calgary – 25 March
• Greek flag raising at Calgary City Hall – 25 March
Please follow our social media accounts to celebrate this day with us and see streaming videos and photographs from these events, as they happen.