- About Us
- Embassy of Greece in Ottawa
- Consulate General in Toronto
- Consulate General in Montreal
- Consulate General in Vancouver
- About Greece
- Greece and Canada
Registration of birth
The birth in Canada of a child of a Greek citizen has to be registered with the Greek consular Authority, in whose jurisdiction the Province where the child was born lies. To see the areas of jurisdiction of the Greek consular Authorities in Canada, click here.
Please note that the marriage of the child’s parents has to have been registered with Greek Authorities before proceeding with the registration of the birth.
1. Document from the competent Canadian Provincial Government Services, which proves that the birth has been registered in Canada. This document must be in its original form and does not need to be certified.
Required documents for each province:
ALBERTA: Certified true copy of the Registration of Birth
BRITISH COLUMBIA: Certified true copy of the Registration of Birth
MANITOBA: Copy of birth registration from Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency
NEW BRUNSWICK: Long form birth certificate NEW BRUNSWICK VITAL STATISTICS
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR: Long form Birth Certificate NEW FOUNDLAND & LABRADOR ONLINE SERVICE
NOVA SCOTIA: Long form birth certificate NOVA SCOTIA ONLINE SERVICES
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND: Long form birth certificate PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND ONLINE SERVICES
ONTARIO: Certified copy of birth registration issued by Service Ontario.
QUEBEC: Copy of an Act of birth from ETAT CIVIL
SASKATCHEWAN: Certified true copy of the Registration of Birth
2. The parents’ marriage certificate from the competent municipal Registry (in case the marriage took place in Greece) or the marriage certificate from the competent Greek consular authority or the Special Registry (Eidiko Lixiarheio) in Athens (in case the marriage took place abroad).
3. The Certificate of Baptism, if one took place.
4. The applicant’s valid Canadian passport
5. If the required registration concerns a person, who at the time of this process is a married female carrying her husband’s name, proof of photo ID under her maiden name (e.g. expired passport) or her government marriage certificate is also required.
6. Any previous Canadian passport (for male applicants only).
7. Two passport size photos (for male applicants only).
1. Contact the Competent Greek Consular Authorities in Canada to request an appointment to register the birth and sign the paperwork required. If the person concerned is a minor, his/her presence is not required at the appointment. The registration and the necessary paperwork can be signed by any of his/her Greek parents.
2. On the day of your appointment you must provide the necessary documents and pay the applicable Consular fees.