Due to its important geo-political position and energy resources Azerbaijan is of special interest to Greece. Greece supports EU initiatives to strengthen EU-Azerbaijani relations.
History of bilateral relations: Highlights
- Greece recognized the independence of the Republic Of Azerbaijan and both countries agreed to establish diplomatic relations on 26.05.1992
- The Embassy of Greece in Baku started its operation on 27.05.1993 with Mr. Carolos Gadis as Charge d’ Affaires
- H.E. Constantinos Stephanopoulos, then President of the Hellenic Republic, officially visited Baku on June 20-22, 2004
- On August 2004, Azerbaijan established its Embassy in Athens
- H.E. Ilham Aliyev, President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, paid a state visit to Athens, on February 15-17, 2009
- H.E. Karolos Papoulias, President of the Hellenic Republic, officially visited Baku on April 4-6, 2011.