Tuesday 21 August 2018
greek english
Home arrow Services arrow Other Services arrow National Service Information

National Service Information

For further information on latest developments and legislation on National Service, please visit the Official website of the Greek Ministry of National Defense: www.stratologia.gr

Certificate of Permanent Resident Abroad for use in relation to military service

According to the Greek recruiting law (3421/2005, article 25) “the military service of those who permanently live abroad is postponed”.

Permanent Residence Abroad for Greek military service purposes is attributed to those who fulfill one of the following conditions:

a. Have their primary and permanent residence abroad for at least eleven constant years, in one or more countries (that is anywhere but Greece)
b. Have their employment residence and live abroad, for at least seven constant years, in one or more countries (that is anywhere but Greece).

In order to apply for a Certificate of Permanent Resident Abroad, you will have to make an appointment and submit to the Consulate General / Armed Forces Department, the following documents:

a. Certificate of registration in the male records of the borough you are registered in Greece.
b. All your passports (Greek, American and/or other, if any), including those which have expired and photocopies of all the stamped pages.
c. Transcripts from schools for every year of education (attention, no diplomas or graduate certificates, simply transcripts for each year that has to be taken into account).
d. W2s or Income Tax Return Sheets or Social Security Statement (you can get the social security statement through www.ssa.gov/myaccount) or Employment Letters (Employment Letters should be notarized). Remember, they have to cover all the years that have to be taken into account, one by one.
e. A full - time employment contract, in case you want to prove employment residence.
f. Utility bills or bank statements for the years you have not yet submitted tax statements
g. Any other document that attests to the applicant’s permanent residency, including birth certificate, Lease Agreements, Titles of Ownership of a House, Marriage Certificate e.t.c.

Please note that all the above documents have to concern the parents of the applicant as well, for the time up until he is 18 years of age (of course the passports of the minor and the transcripts from schools have to concern the applicant). After the age of 18 all documents have to concern the applicant himself.

Fees:  €50

Fees are paid in US dollars (you may view the current exchange rate at the bottom of this page).

For further information on military service obligation, you may visit the official site of the Hellenic Armed Forces Recruiting – Military Legal Advisors Services: http://www.stratologia.gr or address your nearest Greek Consular Authority.

Tel. number of Consulate General of Greece in NY, Armed Forces Department: 212 988 5500 (ext. 430). Email:

Please note that all prices mentioned throughout the website are in Euros. The exchange rate changes once a month and the rate is valid throughout that month. This page will be updated at the first of each month.

The exchange rate for August 2018 is:

1 EURO = 1.20 USD for Consular Service

1 EURO = 1.20 USD for the Visa Section

Please note that we only accept cash or money orders payable to "Embassy of Greece" or the respective Consulate or General Consulate of Greece.

We DO NOT accept credit cards, debit cards or personal checks.