- Embassy of Greece in London
- About Greece
- Greece and the United Kingdom
- Services for Citizens
Declaration of birth
- Article Index
- Declaration of birth of a child by married parents
- Declaration of birth of a child by unmarried Greek mother and foreign father
- Declaration of birth of a child by unmarried Greek mother and Greek father
- Decision on Greek citizenship for child of unmarried Greek father and foreign mother
1. Declaration of birth of a child by married parents
Only the Greek citizen is required to attend in person, without the newborn, (if both parents are Greek citizens only one of them is required to attend). The parents must have previously declared the solemnization of their marriage to the Greek Authorities.
• Application declaring a birth: You are kindly requested to complete the application prior to your attendance at the Consular Office.
• Valid passports or Greek ID card for each parent. In the event that one of the parents is an EU citizen, the declaration may be completed using the ID card of the competent Member State. Non EU citizens are required to be in possession of a valid passport.
• Certificate or Confirmation of Family Status of the Greek citizen (issued within the last 6 months). Greek citizens may access their family records via the portal gov.gr using their personal TAXISnet password. In the event that you do not have TAXISnet passwords, you are kindly requested to fill in a voluntary search application form providing your personal details in Greek and requesting that the Consular Office requests a copy of your family status record from the Municipality holding your initial registration.
• Long version Birth Certificate issued by the British registry office duly legalized with an APOSTILLE from the competent British Authorities. A translation of the British Birth Certificate is not required.
Only for birth of males: In the event that the declaration is made three months after the date of birth, it is issued alongside a declaration and act determining the age of the male child, for which two colour passport photos of the child are required (without biometric specifications).
Certified copies of the declaration can be sent to the Special Registry Office Athens via the Consular Office, or directly by the interested parties themselves or by an authorized third party (in possession of a Notarized Power of Attorney). The Special Registry Office Athens forwards an e-copy of the details to the competent Municipality.
In the event that three months have passed from the birth of a male, a copy of the birth certificate is also submitted to the Municipality. Registration of birth is considered complete when the details are entered into the family record of the Greek citizen; thereupon the child acquires Greek citizenship.
|Fees:||Declaration 10€ or equivalent in Sterling.
Copy 10€ or equivalent in Sterling.
Payment in cash.
See section Consular Fees for itemised fees.
For documents that authentication of the original signature is required, it is priced at 10 Euros for Greek/EU citizens and 30 Euros for third country nationals equivalent in Sterling.
|Appointments:||Make an appointment via the e-appointments system.
Each registration act requires a separate appointment.
|Applications:||1. Application declaring a birth
2. Application voluntary search for a certificate
3. Application for registration in the register of male births and solemn declaration